Tambo Upper Primary School’s literacy program develops each child’s ability to speak, listen, read and write competently and confidently for the purposes of communication, learning and enjoyment in our society.
All students are provided with an opportunity to:
- Enjoy challenging themselves to achieve and feel successful.
- Develop their full potential in the areas of reading and viewing, writing and speaking and listening.
- Value literacy in their daily lives.
- Become confident in their literacy abilities.
- Articulate their understandings in literacy.
Our literacy program is based on high expectations of student achievements through structured, explicit teaching and assessment. A rich, stimulating learning environment supports students to develop literacy strategies and skills based around the Australian Curriculum. Our literacy program incorporates the explicit teaching and learning of text types.
The following content strands form the basis for a comprehensive and differentiated program for all students:
- Language: knowing about the English language.
- Literature: understanding, appreciating, responding to, analysing and creating literature.
- Literacy: expanding the repertoire of English usage.
Tambo Upper Primary School provides an integrated program during our daily two hour literacy block, where students reflect on and work towards personalised goals. The Tambo Upper Primary School spelling and word study program is designed to engage students in examining words in order to reveal consistencies within our written language system and to help students master the recognition, spelling, meaning and origin of specific words. Daily, independent student reading and home reading is positively encouraged and monitored.
Literacy is highlighted in our school through special activities such as Literacy Week, Book Week, student displays, competitions and newsletters. Students have opportunities to develop their public speaking and presentation skills at weekly assemblies.